For many free software projects it would be good to have a short document
explaining how to get started with modifying it. It is customary to put
this information in the
README file. Some people consider
be more suitable for end-users or people installing from source, and
so the name
HACKING is also used.
This is a checklist of things such a document might include.
- How to build, for development, if it is different from normal builds.
(Normal build instructions should go into
- Canonical version control repositories, for people who get a tarball.
- Any build dependencies needed, and possibly where to get them.
- How to run automatic tests.
- Any other helper tools for figuring out, e.g., how to run profiles and performance tests.
- How the source tree is laid out, and where to find the major components of the program.
- Where and how to send patches.
- Coding style issues, if any are unusual.
There may be more. If you can think of any, please add (this is a wiki, after all.) If you know of an existing checklist to replace this page, please add a link there.